Throughout my life, spirituality and religion have become increasingly important to me. As a child, I didn’t realize the impact my religion had on my life, and I was not very connected to my spiritual side. Being independent and attempting to discover who I really am during my young adult years has allowed me to further explore that side of me and truly connect with myself. Through that exploration, I have discovered how much my religion affects the person I am today and how important that side of me is. I’ve also discovered that my spirituality is probably the biggest and most important part of who I am and significantly effects the live I live and how I live it.
I am Jewish and that part of me has always been important and relevant in my life. My family is not very religious, but I attended hebrew school as a child and we always observe the High Holy days. The reason Judaism is so important to me is because of the morals and values the religion portrays. To me, the Jewish religion is just as cultural as it is religious. I was brought up with the morals and values that are depicted in the torah. Morals and values that I really agree with. I think it is easier for me to connect, and form close bonds, with people that were brought up with similar morals and values as I.
My spirituality has always been important to me, but throughout my journey into adulthood, it has definitely become increasingly important and relevant in my life. I think practicing yoga and meditation daily has had a positive affect on discovering who I really am as well. While I will always have the cultural side of my religion, I often believe that my spiritual side is stronger than my religious side. I think this is because I am extremely curious about life and I love to understand the way everyone lives there lives, and why. I like to hear everyones viewpoints and beliefs about the world and I don’t like to judge them because of it. I focus more on connecting with myself and others than connecting with God, not because I don’t believe in God, just because that’s what I feel is right in my life.
I do believe in God. I don’t really know why, but I do. I think it’s because of the way I was raised, going to hebrew school and religious services. God was always someone we were speaking to and learning from, and I just accepted that. The more I think about it, the more I question God’s existence. I guess I try not to think about it too hard because I don’t want to question God’s existence. It’s easier to just accept that there is a God. That way, we can hope that our prayers are being heard and its easier to have faith that everything will work out in the end. Sometimes I wonder if it’s lazy to just put all of that on God and just hope that things will work out for us in the end because God’s got our back. I try to dismiss those thoughts and just believe in God because, in my life, it’s the “right” thing to do.
I think it’s so interesting that the prompt asked if we believe in nature, because I’ve never looked at nature that way. After thinking about it, I realized I do believe in nature and science. It makes sense to believe that way. I also most definitely want to believe in love, and I think I do. I have been loved and I do love. I’ve also seen true love in my parents relationship. However, the love I have been given and received is love from family and friends. I have never been in love with a significant other so I have never experienced that kind of love. And that kind of love is the love I want to believe in. The love I hope is out there. I want to believe in a feeling so strong and powerful that one cannot explain it. Believe, and the desire to believe, is the perfect way to describe the feelings I have towards love.
What inspires me is other people that are true to themselves, can think deeply and are passionate about what they love. My grandpa comes to mind when I think about my inspirations in life. He is so knowledgable and has learned so much in his life that hearing his views and listening to his stories inspires me to be everything I can be.
I don’t know if there is a purpose to life, specifically to my life. All I know is that if I have affected one person in any way, I will truly be fulfilled. I think we make life out to be way more serious than it needs to be and maybe the purpose of life is to just be ourselves and have fun while doing it.
This assignment is so awesome. It has allowed me to explore a side of me that I know is there, but is usually shut down because I don't partake in deep conversations as much as I want to. Being a college student, most conversations between me and my friends consist of boys, parties and homework. It’s only with my best friend and a few family members of mine that I can explore my spiritual side and really ask big, hard questions. Writing this essay made me believe more in myself and appreciate myself more. I like that I can think deeply. And I like that I like to think deeply! I think having this side of me will allow me to be successful in the future and live a fulfilling life.

No comments:
Post a Comment